Crown Chakra: Connecting to the Divine
The crown chakra, or sahasrara in Sanskrit, is the seventh chakra, responsible for our connection to the spiritual realm. Located at the top of the head – the “crown” – it’s considered the gateway to the divine. It’s where we engage with a higher consciousness and are able to tap into our own inner wisdom.
What is the Crown Chakra?
The crown chakra exposes our capacity for a pure, conscious relationship with a universal whole. A healthy crown chakra facilitates our spiritual growth, sense of self-awareness, and overall understanding of the interconnectedness of all things.
Rather than the differentiated emotional and sensory worlds of the lower and bodily chakras, the crown chakra hosts our blissful, transcendental selves. If we subscribe to the idea that there is a soul incarnate within the body and psyche, the crown experience would best describe the pure union of harmonious fullness.
Represented by the color violet and the element of thought, the seventh chakra serves as our connection to enlightenment and universal consciousness. Because “Sahasrara” translates to “thousand-petaled,” this chakra is often represented by a many-petaled lotus flower.
A Balanced Crown Chakra
A balanced and open crown chakra produces an ever-present awareness and deeper understanding of the physical world around us. It helps us to see the “bigger picture,” and more effectively navigate between the earthly and spiritual realms.
In this balanced state, we will also feel a sense of inner peace and clarity, which can help us better navigate life’s challenges with ease and grace.
Physical signs of a healthy, balanced crown chakra include:
- Restful and restorative sleep
- High level of energy
- Healthy skin and hair
- Strong immune system, with no sickness present
Mental and emotional signs of a healthy, balanced crown chakra include:
- Keen sense of intuition and spiritual awareness
- Strong sense of life purpose
- Clarity and peace of mind
An Unbalanced Crown Chakra
An unbalanced crown chakra blocks our spiritual connection to the divine, and can lead to a number of physical, mental and emotional concerns.
Physical symptoms of a blocked or unbalanced crown chakra include:
- Vertigo or dizziness
- Headaches and migraines
- Sensitivity to light or sound
- Trouble sleeping
Mental and emotional symptoms of a blocked or unbalanced crown chakra include:
- Confusion or lack of clarity
- Inability to focus
- Feeling a lack of purpose
- Increased skepticism
- A general sense of disconnection from the world around us
How to Unblock the Crown Chakra
Balanced, open chakras are the key to living our most joyful, peaceful, and authentic life. A crown chakra healing practice can help us tap into our higher selves and experience a more profound connection to the divine.
There are a number of practices that can help balance the crown chakra, including:
- Yoga postures to relax the mind and create more flow within the body. Try this crown chakra yoga sequence from Yoga International
- Breathwork to increase energy flow
- Meditation and mindfulness
- Physical exercise (to “shake up” your energy!)
- Avoiding processed foods and sugar
Crown Chakra Affirmations
Affirmations are a wonderful way to shift our energy into a more positive, open state. They serve as suggestions for our subconscious, which over time, will also become ingrained in our conscious mind.
To maintain a healthy, balanced crown chakra, try repeating one or more of the following crown chakra affirmations daily:
- Everything I do is for a higher good.
- I am fully connected to the divine.
- I am surrounded by love and light.
- I am one with the Universe.
- Peace pours through me.
- I am on the perfect path towards my life purpose.
- My happiness comes from within.
- I am a divine being.
- I am open to receiving wisdom from the divine.
- I freely let go of attachments
- I honor the divine within me.
- I trust that the Universe.
- I surrender to my highest good.
- I am love, and I am loved.
- My life flows beautifully. I am always learning from my experiences.
- I am healing on all levels of my being.
- I am open to whatever the Universe wants to show me.
Crown Chakra Meditations
Meditation is a powerful tool for opening and balancing the crown chakra.
How to begin your crown chakra meditation practice:
- Sit in a relaxed position with your back straight and feet on the floor. While you may also lie down in meditation, we suggest sitting for this chakra. Keeping the top of your head upright will create an easier pathway to source, after all!
- Place your hands on your knees, with your palms facing the sky.
- Close your eyes, slowly inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth.
- As you breathe, imagine the crown chakra’s symbolic lotus petals opening up before you.
- Envision violet swirls of energy circling your crown, and slowly making their way through your body.
- Try to hold this intention for 5-10 minutes to start, or simply end the practice when you feel complete.
Remember, the goal of meditation isn’t to clear your mind, but rather to observe your thoughts and how they make you feel. If the above practice feels too formal or unnatural, try a simple walk in nature (but leave your headphones at home!)
You can also try a guided meditation like this one: